Place:


Aughton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aughton like this:

AUGHTON, a chapelry in Halton parish, Lancashire; on the river Lune, 2 miles N of Caton r. station, and 7 NE of Lancaster. Post Town, Caton, under Lancaster. Acres, 1,900. Pop., 132. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £140.* Patron, the Rector of Halton. The church was rebuilt in 1864.

Additional information about this locality is available for Halton

Aughton through time

Aughton is now part of Lancaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lancaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aughton, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25184

Date accessed: 21st March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aughton ".