Place:


Pillgwenlly  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pillgwenlly like this:

PILL-GWENLLY, a chapelry in St. Woollos parish Monmouth; on the river Usk, immediately below Newport. It contains the Newport docks, and part of Newport town; and has a post-office‡ under Newport, Monmouth. Pop., about 7,000. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. See Newport.

Additional information about this locality is available for Newport

Pillgwenlly through time

Pillgwenlly is now part of Newport district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newport has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pillgwenlly itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pillgwenlly, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25170

Date accessed: 19th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pillgwenlly ".