Place:


Rusland  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rusland like this:

RUSLAND, a chapelry in Colton parish, Lancashire; 5½ miles S by W of Hawkshead, and 8 N N E of Ulverston r. station. It was constituted in 1844; and its post town is Newton-in-Cartmel. Pop., 178. Houses, 36. R. Hall is the seat ofD. Archibald, Esq.; Whitestock Hall, of the Rev. J. Romney; and Thwaite Moss, of E. Twisaday, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of . Carlisle. Value, £64.* Patron, the Vicar of Colton. The church is good; and there is a Quakers' chapel, supposed to have been founded by George Fox.

Additional information about this locality is available for Colton

Rusland through time

Rusland is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rusland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rusland, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25076

Date accessed: 10th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rusland ".