Place:


Baddiley  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Baddiley like this:

BADDILEY, a parish in Nantwich district, Cheshire; on the Ellesmere canal and the Shropshire Union rail way, 3 miles SW by W of Nantwich r. station. Post town, Nantwich. Acres, 1,962. Real property, £3,258. Pop., 272. Houses, 49. The property is not much divided. The manor formerly belonged to the Mainwar ing family; and their seat, Baddiley Hall, a very ancient structure of timber and plaster, was first converted into a farmhouse, and then recently pulled down. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £219.* Patron, J. Tollemache, Esq. The church dates from times when public buildings wore generally constructed of timber; consisted entirely of oak till 1811, but was then encased with brick; is still in pretty good condition; and contains two fine marble monuments of the Mainwarings. Charities, £43.

Baddiley through time

Baddiley is now part of Crewe and Nantwich district. Click here for graphs and data of how Crewe and Nantwich has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Baddiley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Baddiley, in Crewe and Nantwich and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2503

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Baddiley ".