Place:


Thornhill Lees  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thornhill Lees like this:

THORNHILL-LEES, a chapelry in Thornhilland Dewsbury parishes, W. R. Yorkshire; at Thornhill r. station, 1¼ mile S by E of Dewsbury. Post town, Dewsbury. Pop., 1,553. Houses, 304. Lees House is the seat of W. Lipscomb, Esq. There are woollen factories, glass-works, and collieries. The living is a p. curacy in The diocese of Ripon. Value, £158.* Patron, the Bishop of R. The church was built in 1858; and has a fine spire.

Additional information about this locality is available for Thornhill

Thornhill Lees through time

Thornhill Lees is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thornhill Lees itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornhill Lees, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25005

Date accessed: 05th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thornhill Lees ".