Place:


Moorfields  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Moorfields like this:

MOORFIELDS, a chapelry in Sheffield parish, W. R. Yorkshire; within Sheffield borough. It was constituted in 1846; and its Post town is Sheffield. Pop. in 1861, 6,254. Houses, 1,178. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £300. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Archbishop. The church stands in Cupola-street; was erected by subscription; and is a neat structure in the pointed style, with bell-turret.

The location is the former site of St. Jude's church, Moorfields, Sheffield, at the junction of Cupol Street and Gibraltar Street. Additional information about this locality is available for Sheffield

Moorfields through time

Moorfields is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Moorfields itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moorfields, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24855

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Moorfields ".