Place:


West Town  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Town like this:

WEST TOWN, a chapelry in Dewsbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire; adjacent to Dewsbury town and r. station. It was constituted in 1849; and its Post town is Dewsbury. Pop. 3,431. Houses, 706. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Dewsbury.

The location is approximately that of West Town Post Office in modern Dewsbury. Additional information about this locality is available for Dewsbury

West Town through time

West Town is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Town itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Town, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24839

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Town ".