Place:


Fleetwood  Lancashire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Fleetwood like this:

Fleetwood, seaport town and watering-place with ry. sta., Poulton-le-Fylde par., N. Lancashire, at mouth of river Wyre, 18 miles NW. of Preston and 229 NW. of London, pop. 6733; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Fleetwood dates from 1836, and is now a considerable town, with a large trade. Royal mail steamers ply daily to and from Belfast, and there is regular communication with the Isle of Man. ...


The harbour is safe and extensive; a new dock, with an area of 10 ac., was opened in 1877. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Within the town is a fixed light 90 ft. above high water and seen 13 miles; and on the esplanade is a fixed light 30 ft. above high water and seen 9 miles. Fleetwood has barracks and a school of musketry.

Fleetwood through time

Fleetwood is now part of Wyre district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wyre has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fleetwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fleetwood, in Wyre and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/248

Date accessed: 21st February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fleetwood ".