Place:


Redbank  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Redbank like this:

REDBANK, a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire; within Manchester borough. It was constituted in 1856; and its post town is Manchester. Pop. in 1861, 8, 167. Houses, 1, 452. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is modern.

The location is that of St Thomas's church, Red Bank, Manchester, as marked and named on the Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 map of Lancashire and Furness of 1892-3, accessible on the www.old-maps.co.uk site. Additional information about this locality is available for Manchester

Redbank through time

Redbank is now part of Manchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Manchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Redbank itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Redbank, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24704

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Redbank ".