Place:


Whissendine  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whissendine like this:

WHISSENDINE, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands 1¾ mile SSW of a station of its own name on the Syston and Peterborough railway, and 4¼ NNW of Oakham; was known, in the Norman times, as Wichingedine; is a scattered place; and has a post-office under Oakham. ...


The parish comprises 3,870 acres. Real property, £6,948. Pop. in 1851, 795; in 1861, 693. Houses, 175. The manor belonged to Waltheof, the nephew of William the Conqueror; passed to the Wakes, the Hollands, the Greys, and others; and belongs now to E. S. Kennedy, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £177.* Patron, E. S. Kennedy, Esq. The church is ancient. There are two Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £24.

Whissendine through time

Whissendine is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whissendine itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whissendine in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2452

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whissendine ".