In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ardeley like this:
ARDELEY, or Yardley, a parish in Royston district, Herts; on the river Beane, 4 miles W of Westmill r. station, and 4½ SW by W of Buntingford. Post Town, Buntingford. Acres, 2,405. Real property, £3,815. Pop., 574. Houses, 126. The manor was given by Athelstane to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. Ardeley-Bury belonged once to the Cornwalls, then to the Chaunceys; and passed to the Murrays. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £224.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church was re paired in 1850. and has a brass of a priest. Charities, £20.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ardeley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Hertfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ardeley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ardeley in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ardeley".