Place:


Kingston Pitney  Somerset

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Kingston Pitney like this:

Kingston Pitney, par., Somerset. See PITNEY.

The location is the coordinate given for "Chapel (site of), Higher Kingston, Yeovil" (Somerset HER number: 26147) in the National Monuments Record, accessed via Heritage Gateway (http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=26147&resourceID=100, accessed 19/7/2011). However, Somerset County Council's "English Heritage Extensive Urban Survey: An archaeological assessment of Yeovil" (2003) states that "The supposed site of Kingston Pitney Chapel (SMR 54739) lies not within the marked area, but on the opposite side of Higher Kingston. Whilst there is as yet little evidence to confirm or refute this location, it may be of importance to do so: the medieval chapel is supposed to have lain within the manorial buildings of Kingston, which might suggest an alternative location for previous manor buildings." (www1.somerset.gov.uk/archives/hes/downloads/EUS_YeovilText.pdf, accessed 19/7/2011). What is clear that this was a chapel within Yeovil, quite distinct from the parish of Pitney well to the north, despite the entry in Bartholomew. Additional information about this locality is available for Yeovil

Kingston Pitney through time

Kingston Pitney is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingston Pitney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingston Pitney in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24118

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingston Pitney ".