Place:


Great Berwick  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Berwick like this:

BERWICK (Great and Little), a township in St. Mary-Shrewsbury parish, Salop; on the river Severn, 2 miles NW of Shrewsbury. Berwick House here is the seat of the Hon. H. W. Powys. Little Berwick is also a chapelry. Pop., 325. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £54. Patrons, the Earl of Tankerville and others. The church was repaired in 1859.

Additional information about this locality is available for Shrewsbury

Great Berwick through time

Great Berwick is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Berwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Berwick, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24117

Date accessed: 24th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Berwick ".