Place:


Shaw  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shaw like this:

SHAW and WHITLEY, a chapelry in Melksham parish, Wilts; 1¼ mile W N W of Melksham r. station. It was constituted in 1842; and it has a post-office, of the name of Shaw, under Melksham. Pop., 596. Houses, 142. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £100. Patron, the Vicar of Melksham.

Additional information about this locality is available for Melksham

Shaw through time

Shaw is now part of West Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shaw itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shaw in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23868

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shaw ".