Place:


Oare  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oare like this:

OARE, a chapelry in Wilcot parish, Wilts; near the Kennet and Avon canal, 2 miles N of Pewsey r. station, and 4½ S S W of Marlborough. It has a post-office under Marlborough. The statistics are returned with the parish. Oare hill is a resort of sportsmen. The living is ap. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Wilcot, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is ancient.

Additional information about this locality is available for Wilcot

Oare through time

Oare is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oare itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oare, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23866

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oare ".