Place:


The Nore  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described The Nore like this:

NORE (The), an anchoring-ground in the estuary of the Thames; 3 miles N E of Sheerness, 3¼ S S E of Shoeburyness, and 47 E of London bridge. It is called distinctively the Great Nore; it adjoins another anchorage, extending south-westward from it to the mouth of the Medway, and called the Little Nore; it lies immediately E of a narrow shoal, 1¾ mile long, called the Nore Sand; it has from 7 to 10 fathoms water, with a tidal rise of 14 or 15 feet; it is the place where ships cast anchor on entering the Thames, and whence ships from the port of London take their departure to all parts of the world; and it has, on its N side, in lat. ...


51o 29´ N, and long. 48´ E, a famous floating light for guiding the navigation. The first light was put up in 1731, by Mr. Hamblin, who obtained a patent for it, and made trial of it on a vessel called the " Experiment; " that light was speedily recognised as of great value, and soon went under the control of the Trinity Board; and the resent light stands 33feet high, and is visible at the distance of 10 miles.

The Nore through time

The Nore is now part of Southend on Sea district. Click here for graphs and data of how Southend on Sea has changed over two centuries. For statistics about The Nore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of The Nore, in Southend on Sea and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23856

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " The Nore ".