Place:


Brandon  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brandon like this:

BRANDON and BYSHOTTLES, a township in Brancepeth parish, Durham; near the Durham and Bishop-Auckland railway, 3 miles SW by W of Durham. It has a side-station, of the name of Brandon. Acres, 6,726. Real property, £11,230; of which £5,812 are in mines. Pop., 1,486. Houses, 270. Brandon hill here has an altitude of 875 feet; is crowned with a tumulus, 120 paces in circuit and 24 feet high; and commands an extensive view.

Brandon through time

Brandon is now part of Durham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Durham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brandon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brandon, in Durham and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/238

Date accessed: 17th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brandon ".