Place:


Heath  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heath like this:

HEATH, a village and a parish in Chesterfield district, Derby. The village stands on an affluent of the river Rother, 3 miles NE of Clay-Cross r. station, and 5 SE by E of Chesterfield; and has a post office under Chesterfield. The parish comprises 1, 611 acres. Real property, £2, 088; of which £270 are in mines. ...


Pop., 369. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. Coal is worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £23 7.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was built in 1853; is in the decorated English style; and consists of nave and chancel, with tower and small spire. There are an endowed school with £15 a year, and a charity with £7.

Heath through time

Heath is now part of North East Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heath in North East Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2364

Date accessed: 26th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heath ".