Place:


Bickleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bickleigh like this:

BICKLEIGH, a parish in Plympton-St. Mary district, Devon; on the Cat water, and on the South Devon and Tavistock railway, near Dartmoor forest, 6 miles NNE of Plymouth. It has a station on the railway: and its Post Town is Tamerton, under Plymouth. Acres, 2,323. Real property, £2,070. Pop., 402. ...


Houses, 73. The property is all in one estate. Very beautiful and romantic scenery lies along the Cat water The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Sheepstor, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £253.* Patron, Sir M. Lopes, Bart. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1839; and it contains the tomb of Sir Nicholas Slanning, whose death forms the catastrophe of Mrs. Bray's novel of "Fitz of Fitzford."

Bickleigh through time

Bickleigh is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bickleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bickleigh, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2344

Date accessed: 22nd November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bickleigh ".