Place:


Pontnewynydd  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pontnewynydd like this:

PONTNEWYNYDD, a hamlet and a chapelry in Trevethin parish, Monmouth. The hamlet lies on the river Avon and on the Eastern Valleys railway, ¾ of a mile N N W of Pontypool; and has a station on the railway and a post-office under Pontypool. The chapelrywas constituted in 1844. Pop., 2, 753. Houses, 540. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Trevethin.

Pontnewynydd through time

Pontnewynydd is now part of Torfaen district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torfaen has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pontnewynydd itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pontnewynydd, in Torfaen and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23390

Date accessed: 22nd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pontnewynydd ".