Place:


Medstead  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Medstead like this:

MEDSTEAD, a village and a parish in Alton district, Hants. The village stands near the Winchester railway, 4 miles WSW of Alton; and has a post office under Alton, and a r. station. The parish comprises 2,811 acres. Real property, £2,854. Pop., 497. Houses, 66. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £580.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church has some Norman portions, and was repaired in 1858. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.

Medstead through time

Medstead is now part of East Hampshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hampshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Medstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Medstead in East Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2326

Date accessed: 19th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Medstead ".