Billingford  Norfolk


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Billingford like this:

BILLINGFORD, a parish in Mitford district, Norfolk; on the river Wensum, 1½ mile ESE of Elmham r. station, and 3½ SSW of Foulsham. It has a post office under Thetford. Acres, 1,820. Real property, £2,337. Pop., 354. Houses, 74. The manor belongs to the Earl of Leicester. An hospital for poor travellers was founded at Beckhall here, in the time of Henry III., by William Beck. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £360.* Patron, the Earl of Leicester. The church is good. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school.

Billingford through time

Billingford is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Billingford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Billingford, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 11th December 2019

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Billingford ".