Place:


Newtown  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newtown like this:

NEWTOWN, a chapelry in Wem parish, Salop; 2 miles S S E of the boundary with Wales, and 3 N W of Wem r.station. Post-town, Wem, under Shrewsbury. The statistics are returned with the parish. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield Value, £80. Patrons, the Inhabitants. The church was rebuilt in 1869, and is in the early English style. There is a national school.

Newtown through time

Newtown is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newtown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newtown in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23063

Date accessed: 26th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newtown ".