Place:


Hemsby  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hemsby like this:

HEMSBY, a village and a parish in Flegg district, Norfolk. The village stands on the coast, opposite Hemsby Gat, 6½ miles N by W of Yarmouth r. station; and has a post office under Yarmouth, Norfolk. The parish comprises 1, 710 acres of land, and 75 of water. Real property, £4, 411. ...


Pop., 664. Houses, 150. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to R. Copeman, Esq. There is a lake of about 55 acres. Hemsby Gat is a channel, 3½ miles long and ½ a mile wide, across the Barber Sand. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £175. * Patron, R. Copeman, Esq. The church is ancient but good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £46.

Hemsby through time

Hemsby is now part of Great Yarmouth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Great Yarmouth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hemsby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hemsby, in Great Yarmouth and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2287

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hemsby ".