Place:


Burton Constable  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burton Constable like this:

BURTON-CONSTABLE, a hamlet in Swine parish, E. R. Yorkshire; with a station on the Hornsea railway, 10¼ miles NE of Hull. B.-C. House, formerly the property of the Cliffords, now the seat of Sir T. A.Constable, Bart., is a fine ancient mansion, with fronts of 138 and 191 feet, and a tower at each corner; and contains a large collection of local manuscript history, and many family portraits. Races are run in April, over a course of 1¼ mile, in the park.

Burton Constable through time

Burton Constable is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burton Constable itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burton Constable, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22706

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burton Constable ".