Place:


Stanlow  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanlow like this:

STANLOW, an extra-parochial tract in Great Boughton district, Cheshire; on the Mersey, 8 miles N of Chester. Acres, 1,485; of which 1,255 are water. Real property, £440. Pop., 14. Houses, 2. A Cistertian abbey was founded here, by J. Lacy, in 1170; became a cell to Whalley abbey; and has left some remains.

Stanlow through time

Stanlow is now part of Ellesmere Port and Neston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ellesmere Port and Neston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanlow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanlow, in Ellesmere Port and Neston and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22626

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanlow ".