Place:


Lower Whitley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lower Whitley like this:

WHITLEY (Lower), a township-chapelry, with a village and three hamlets, in Thornhill parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 2¼ miles SE of Thornhill r. station, and 5½ SW of Wakefield. Post town, Thornhill, under Dewsbury. Acres, 1,011. Real property, £5,246; of which £1,320 are in mines. Pop., 1,042. Houses, 202. Carpet manufacture and tanning are carried on. The Living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £200.* Patron, the Bishop of R. The church is good: and there is a parochial school.

Lower Whitley through time

Lower Whitley is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lower Whitley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lower Whitley, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22541

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lower Whitley ".