Place:


Haughmond  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haughmond like this:

HAUGHMOND, or Hagmond, an extra-parochial tract in Atcham district, Salop; 4½ miles E of Shrewsbury. Pop., 141. Houses, 27. An Augustinian abbey was founded here, in 1100, by William Fitzalan; had revenues, at the dissolution, valued at £260; and was then given to Edmnnd Lytellton. Ruins of it, comprising a church door, the chapter house, and parts of the refectory and the abbot's house, still exist; and some of them show transition Norman character. Clark, the antiquary, was a native.

Haughmond through time

Haughmond is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haughmond itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haughmond, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22501

Date accessed: 24th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haughmond ".