Place:


Kingoodie  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Kingoodie like this:

Kingoodie, a village in Longforgan parish, SE Perthshire, on the northern shore of the Fvrth of Tay, 5 miles W by S of Dundee. It originated in the working of a neighbouring sandstone quarry; and it has a small harbour, formed for the exportation of the stone and for the importation of coals, but accessible, even at spring tides, only by vessels drawing less than 10 feet water. ...


The stone of the quarry, with a bluish colour, a fine grain, and a very compact texture, is a singularly good building material, and is susceptible of the finest polish. Used for building Castle Huntly in 1452, it has ever since been more or less in request for edifices, for docks, and for piers; and may be had in blocks of any reasonable size, even 50 feet long, 16 broad, and and 3 thick.—Ord. Sur., sh. 48, 1868.

Kingoodie through time

Kingoodie is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingoodie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingoodie, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22419

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingoodie ".