Place:


Blairingone  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Blairingone like this:

Blairingone (Gael. blar - a -.gobhain, ` field of the smith '), a village in Fossoway parish, Perthshire, and a quoad sacra parish partly also in Clackmannan parish, Clackmannanshire. The village stands ¾ mile S of the river Devon, and 2½ miles ESE of Dollar, under which it has a post office. ...


Here anciently at Palace Brae was a mansion of the ancestors of the Duke of Athole, and the adjoining pinnacled rock, now known as Gibson's Craig, is said to be the real Gartwhinzian, where the Clan Murray rallied round their chief. The parish is in the presbytery of Kinross and synod of Fife. Stipend, £120. The church (1838; 250 sittings) stands a little E of the village; and a public school, with accommodation for 103 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 69, and a grant of £53,14s. Pop. of parish (1871) 469, (1881) 446.

Blairingone through time

Blairingone is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blairingone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blairingone, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22356

Date accessed: 20th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blairingone ".