Place:


Bellahouston  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Bellahouston like this:

Bellahouston, a quoad sacra parish in Govan parish, Lanarkshire, on the north-western verge of the county, near Govan town, 3 miles NW of Glasgow. It was constituted in 1869, and it had in 1871 a population of 2424. Its post-town is Govan under Glasgow. It contains Bellahouston House, Bellahouston villa, and Bellahouston farm; and it has a coal-pit, 19½ fathoms deep, yielding high-priced cannel coal. It is in the presbytery of Glasgow and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. Stipend, £120, with a manse.

Bellahouston through time

Bellahouston is now part of Glasgow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Glasgow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bellahouston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bellahouston, in Glasgow and Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22346

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bellahouston ".