Place:


Balgray  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Balgray like this:

Balgray, a hamlet on the NW border of Lanarkshire, on the river Kelvin, 3 miles NNW of Glasgow. A quarry of excellent sandstone is near it, about 600 yards from a wharf on the Forth and Clyde Canal; and this, about the year 1832, disclosed upwards of twenty stumps of exogenous fossil trees, all standing in a group, in their natural position. Not more than two of the stumps retained their roots, and no organic remains whatever were visible in the superincumbent rock.

The location is based on combining Groome's description that Balgray was "on the river Kelvin, 3 miles NNW of Glasgow" with "West Balgray" and "South Balgray being marked, respectively, west and south of this location on the OS 1st Series map.

Balgray through time

Balgray is now part of Glasgow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Glasgow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Balgray itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Balgray, in Glasgow and Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22315

Date accessed: 22nd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Balgray ".