Place:


Thornliebank  Renfrewshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Thornliebank like this:

Thornliebank, a manufacturing village in Eastwood Parish, Renfrewshire, on Auldhouse Burn, 1½ mile SSW of Pollokshaws. It has a post office under Glasgow, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a railway station (1881) on the Caledonian, a U.P. church (1836; renovated 1883), a public school (1878), and a public hall (1879), erected by the Messrs Crum at a cost of £4000. ...


That firm's extensive works, for cotton-spinning, power-loom weaving, calico-printing, and bleaching, were commenced towards the close of the 18th century. The mansion of Thornliebank is the seat of Alex. Crum, Esq. (b. 1828; suc. 1867), Liberal M.P. for Renfrewshire since 1880. Pop. (1841) 1620, (1861) 1839, (1871) 2123, (1881) 2156, of whom 1069 were females. Houses (1881) 404.—Ord. Sur., sh. 30, 1866.

Thornliebank through time

Thornliebank is now part of East Renfrewshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Renfrewshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thornliebank itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornliebank in East Renfrewshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22283

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thornliebank ".