Place:


St Michael Penkevil  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Michael Penkevil like this:

MICHAEL-PENKEVIL (ST.), a village and a parish in Truro district, Cornwall. The village stands 1½ mile from Mopas ferry on St. Clement's creek, and 4 SE of Truro r. station; and has a post office, under Probus, Cornwall. The parish comprises 1,189 acres. Real property, £984. Pop., 194. ...


Houses, 35. The manor belonged to the Penkevils; passed to the Courtenays, the Carminows, and the Boscawens; and belongs now to Viscount Falmouth. Tregonian and Nancarrow are old seats. The rocks are slaty, and have traces of copper. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £156.* Patron, Viscount Falmouth. The church was originally a fine structure of the 13th and the 14th centuries; was partly restored, partly rebuilt, subsequent to 1859; a buttressed tower, including a curious oratory with a stone altar; and contains a metal tablet of 1515 to the Rev. John Trembrass, and a monument by Rysbrach to Admiral Boscawen.

St Michael Penkevil through time

St Michael Penkevil is now part of Carrick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carrick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Michael Penkevil itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Michael Penkevil, in Carrick and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2227

Date accessed: 19th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Michael Penkevil ".