Place:


Inch Garvie  Fife

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Inch Garvie like this:

Inchgarvie, a rocky islet of Inverkeithing parish, Fife, in the Firth of Forth, 3 furlongs SSE of the North Queensferry coastguard station and 4 ½ NE of Long Craig near South Queensferry. Measuring 5 furlongs in circumference, it was crowned with a fort in the reign of James IV., which served as a state prison from 1519 till the purchase of the Bass in 1671, and which was visited in 1651 by Charles II. ...


Inchgarvie was refortified and provided with four iron 24-pounders in 1779, after the alarm occasioned by the appearance of Paul Jones' squadron in the Firth; and it now forms the central support of the two great spans of the Forth Railway Bridge.—Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857.

Inch Garvie through time

Inch Garvie is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Inch Garvie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Inch Garvie in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22234

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Inch Garvie ".