Place:


Glencarse  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Glencarse like this:

Glencarse, a hamlet close to the south-eastern border of Kinfauns parish, Perthshire, with a station on the Dundee and Perth section of the Caledonian, this being 6 miles E by S of Perth, under which it has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments. There are an inn and an Episcopal church, All Saints (1878; 200 sittings), an Early Domestic Gothic edifice of pitch pine and concrete. ...


Glencarse House, 7 furlongs N by W of the station, on the SE slope of wooded Glencarse Hill (596 feet), is a modern mansion, the seat of Thomas Greig, Esq. (b. 1801; suc. 1840), who holds 662 acres in the shire, valued at £1496 per annum.—Ord. Sur., sh. 48, 1868.

Glencarse through time

Glencarse is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glencarse itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glencarse, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22134

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Glencarse ".