Place:


Bridgeton  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Bridgeton like this:

Bridgeton, a suburban town and a quoad sacra parish in Calton parish, Lanarkshire. The town, forming part of the extreme E of Glasgow, lies between Calton on the NW and Barrowfield on the SE; and takes its name from a bridge at its SE end, over the Clyde, on the road to Rutherglen. Adjoining on its SW side the upper part of Glasgow Green, it comprises numerous streets, mostly crossing one another at right angles; has in its centre, at Bridgeton Cross, an elegant, decagonal, cast-iron pavilion, with surmounting clock tower 50 feet high, erected in 1875; contains many cotton factories and other public works; presents, in general, a dingy, murky appearance; and is traversed, to Bridgeton Cross, by a line of the Glasgow City Street Tramways. ...


The quoad sacra parish is in the presbytery of Glasgow and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. Stipend, £120. Bridgeton gives name to a registration district of Glasgow, with 39,628 inhabitants in 1881. See Glasgow.

Bridgeton through time

Bridgeton is now part of Glasgow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Glasgow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bridgeton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bridgeton, in Glasgow and Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21928

Date accessed: 24th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bridgeton ".