Place:


Castle Carrock  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Castle Carrock like this:

CASTLE-CARROCK, a parish in Brampton district, Cumberland; on the river Gelt under Cumrew fell, 3 miles SE of How-Mill r. station, and 4 S of Brampton. It has a post office under Carlisle. Acres, 3,640. Real property, £2,026. Pop., 337. Houses, 65. The property is much subdivided. Limestone and freestone abound; and there are two mineral springs. ...


Traces exist of two ancient military strengths. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £159.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church was rebuilt in 1828. There are an Independent chapel and an endowed school the latter with £14.

Castle Carrock through time

Castle Carrock is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Castle Carrock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castle Carrock, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2175

Date accessed: 25th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Castle Carrock ".