Place:


the Isle of May  Fife

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described the Isle of May like this:

May, Isle of, in Firth of Forth, 5½, miles SE. of Crail, 126 ac., pop. 22; the Isle of May is included in the co. of Fife, but is connected with no parish; it was the seat of a 12th century priory, and contains the ruins of a 13th century chapel; on the summit, and on the NE. side are 2 lighthouses, 78 and 36 ft. high, with flashing and fixed lights (May Island) 240 and 110 ft. above high water and seen 21 and 15 miles.

the Isle of May through time

the Isle of May is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about the Isle of May itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of the Isle of May in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21698

Date accessed: 26th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " the Isle of May ".