Place:


Glengarnock  Ayrshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Glengarnock like this:

Glengarnock, a village and a ruined castle in Kilbirnie and Dalry parishes, Ayrshire. The village stands at the foot of Kilbirnie Loch, and 5 furlongs NE of Kilbirnie station on the Glasgow and South-Western railway, this being 2 ¾ miles NNE of Dalry Junction. Founded about 1844 in connection with Glengarnock Iron-works, it has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a mission station of the Church of Scotland, a U.P. ...


church (1870), a public school, a wincey factory, and large iron-works. The last, occupying a remarkably eligible site, were planned and erected with much skill and taste, and include 14 furnaces. Glengarnock Castle, crowning a precipitous knoll on the left bank of the winding Garnock, 2 miles N by W of Kilbirnie village, appears to have been a stately pile of high antiquity. The barony, of which it was the seat, was held by Riddels till the middle of the 13th, and by Cunninghams till the beginning of the 17th, century. Since 1680 it has formed a valuable portion of the Kilbirnie property. Pop. of village (1871) 1228, (1881) 1276, of whom 406 were in Dalry parish.—Ord. Sur., sh. 22, 1865.

Glengarnock through time

Glengarnock is now part of North Ayrshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Ayrshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glengarnock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glengarnock in North Ayrshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21668

Date accessed: 20th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Glengarnock ".