In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Porthleven like this:
PORTHLEVEN, a village and a chapelry in Sithney parish, Cornwall. The village stands on Mounts bay, 2½ miles W S W of Helston, and 8½ S by E of Gwinear-Road r. station; is a prosperous small sea-port; and has a post-office under Helston. A harbour was constructed hereat great cost; but cannot be entered, without difficulty, in tempestuous weather. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Pop., 1, 259. Houses, 238. The shore is rugged, and shows some curious intersections of slate rocksby trap dikes. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £140. Patron, the Vicar of Sithney. The church was built in 1841.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Porthleven has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kerrier. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Porthleven and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Porthleven, in Kerrier and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Porthleven".