Place:


Patna  Ayrshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Patna like this:

Patna, a village in Straiton and Dalmellington parishes, Ayrshire, on the river Doon, with a station upon the Ayr and Dalmellington branch of the Glasgow and South-Western railway, 10 miles SE of Ayr. Situated in a bleak, confined, tumulated landscape, and forming part of a mineral field rich in coal and ironstone, it has chiefly been built since the commencement of the present century. ...


Its Straiton section consists for the most part of one-story houses, arranged in a main street and a contiguous row; and the inhabitants are chiefly miners or otherwise connected with the mineral traffic. Patna has a post office under Ayr, with money order and savings' bank departments, a handsome granite fountain (1872), an Established church, a U.P. church (1838), and a public school. The Established church was built as a chapel of ease in 1837, and in 1877 was raised to quoad sacra status. Pop. of village (1841) 231, (1861) 470, (1871) 766, (1881) 603, of whom 424 were in Straiton; of q. s. parish (1881) 1179, of whom 213 were in Dalmellington, 412 in Dalrymple, 14 in Kirkmichael, and 540 in Straiton.—Ord. Sur., sh. 14, 1863.

Patna through time

Patna is now part of East Ayrshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Ayrshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Patna itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Patna in East Ayrshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21586

Date accessed: 27th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Patna ".