Place:


Moreton  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Moreton like this:

MORETON, or MORTON, a township in Oswestry parish, and a chapelry partly also in Llanyblodwell parish, Salop. The township lies on the Montgomery canal and the Cambrian railway, between Offa's dyke and Watt's dyke, near Pant r. station, 2 miles from the boundary with Wales, and 3½ S of Oswestry. ...


Pop., 147. The chapelry was constituted in 1861; and includes also the townships of Crickheath, Llynclys, and Sweeney. Posttown, Oswestry. Pop. of the O. portion, 766. Houses, 161. Pop. of the L. portion, 57. Houses, 13. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £669. Patron, the Lord Chancellor.

Moreton through time

Moreton is now part of Oswestry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oswestry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Moreton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moreton, in Oswestry and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21547

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Moreton ".