Place:


Micklehurst  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Micklehurst like this:

MICKLEHURST, a village in Mottram parish, Cheshire; near the boundary. with Lancashire and Yorkshire, 1 mile E of Mossley r. station, and 3 NNE of Staleybridge. It occupies a pleasant situation among hills; is well built; has large cotton and woollen mills; and, in common with a tract around it, is governed, under the local government act, by a board of 18 comMissioners. ...


Pop. in 1851,619; in 1861,800. Houses, 160. The increase of pop. arose from the prosperity of the cotton trade. Richmond House, T. Schofield, Esq.; Breeze Hill, S. Shaw, Esq.; Tudor Cottage, J. Lawton. Esq.; and Marle House, Mrs. J. Lawton, are adjacent; and remains of an ancient fortification, called Bucton Castle, are on an acclivity overlooking the village.

Micklehurst through time

Micklehurst is now part of Tameside district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tameside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Micklehurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Micklehurst, in Tameside and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21539

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Micklehurst ".