Place:


Low Wray  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Low Wray like this:

LOW WRAY, a chapelry in Hawkshead parish, Lancashire; on Windermere lake, 3 miles NE of Hawkshead, and 5½ by road from Windermere r. station. Posttown, Ambleside, under Windermere. Pop., 170. Wray Castle, a splendid mansion in the later English style, is the seat of James Dawson, Esq.; stands on an eminence, commanding a noble view, amid grounds extending along the shore of the lake; and is itself a fine feature in the prospects from the E shore. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £31 10s. Patron, J. Dawson, Esq. The church is a handsome modern edifice, in the later English style. A national school, used also as a chapel of ease, is at High Sawrey; and a Quakers' chapel is at Colthouse.

Low Wray through time

Low Wray is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Low Wray itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Low Wray, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21527

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Low Wray ".