Place:


Kingston Lacy  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingston Lacy like this:

KINGSTON-LACY, a manor in Wimborne-Minster parish, Dorset; 2 miles NW of Wimborne. It contains the hamlets of Abbotstreet, Badbury, Barford, Barnesley, Cowgrove, Pamphill, and Stone. Pop., 752. An urn, with Roman coins, was found at Pamphill in 1736. Kingston Hall is the seat of the Bankes fam ...


ily; was built in 1663 by Sir Ralph Bankes, and restored by Barry; contains a rich collection of pictures, numerous other works of art, and the key and seal of Corfe Castle, so remarkably defended by Lady Bankes; and has, in its park, an Egyptian obelisk, brought hither from Philæ, and refounded in 1827 by the Duke of Wellington.

Kingston Lacy through time

Kingston Lacy is now part of East Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingston Lacy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingston Lacy in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21491

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingston Lacy ".