Place:


Kilnhurst  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kilnhurst like this:

KILNHURST, a village in Rawmarsh parish, and a chapelry partly also in Wath-upon-Dearne parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the Doncaster and Sheffield railway, 4¼ miles NE of Rotherham; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Rotherham. The chapelry was constituted in 1860. ...


Pop., 1, 247. Houses, 248. Pop. of the Rawmarsh portion, 374. Houses, 69. The manor and most of the land belong to Earl Fitzwilliam. There are collieries, iron and steel works, glass bottle works, potteries, and brick yards. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £152. * Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam. The church was built in 1858, at a cost of £1, 200; and is in the early English style. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and an extensive co-operative store.

Kilnhurst through time

Kilnhurst is now part of Rotherham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rotherham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kilnhurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kilnhurst, in Rotherham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21487

Date accessed: 25th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kilnhurst ".