Place:


Homerton  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Homerton like this:

HOMERTON, a metropolitan suburb and a chapelry, in Hackney parish, Middlesex. - The suburb lies on the N. London Railway, near Victoria-Park and Hackney stations, 3 ¼ miles N E of St. Paul's; has a post office‡ under London NE, and a r. st.; and consists largely of suburban residences of city merchants and opulent tradesmen.—The chapelry was constituted in 18 45. ...


Pop. in 1861, 8, 663. Houses, 1, 306. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £300. * Patron, the Bishop of London. Ram's proprietary chapel is here, and is in the patronage of Trustees. Three dissenting chapels, and Robinson's alms houses for 12 ministers' widows, also are here. An Independents' theological college was founded here soon after the Revolution; was rebuilt in 1823; had then an income of £2, 033; and was consolidated, in 1850, with Coward and Highbury colleges into the New college, St. John's Wood.

Homerton through time

Homerton is now part of Hackney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hackney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Homerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Homerton, in Hackney and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21470

Date accessed: 17th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Homerton ".