Place:


Hawkstone  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hawkstone like this:

HAWKSTONE, a township in Hodnet parish, Salop; 4 miles E of Wem. Pop., 60. Hawkstone Park is the seat of Viscount Hill; contains some interesting pictures and portraits; and is celebrated for an extraordinary combination of natural and artificial beauties in its grounds. Some of these are the ...


Grotto and Retreat caverns; a lake 2 miles long; Lord Mayor Hill's column, 133 feet high, commanding a prospect over twelve counties; a summer house, with fine views; a Swiss bridge; an Otaheite cabin; a tent in which the treaty of El Arish was signed, and brought over by Lord Hill; the Roman camp of Bury Walls, occupying 20 acres, in which coins and armour have been found; and the site of Red Castle, which was demolished in the civil war.

Hawkstone through time

Hawkstone is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hawkstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hawkstone in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21452

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hawkstone ".