Place:


Flushing  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Flushing like this:

FLUSHING, a village and a chapelry in Mylor parish, Cornwall. The village stands on the Falmouth branch of Falmouth harbour, opposite Falmouth town and r. station; is reputed to be -the warmest place in Cornwall; serves as a sub-port to Falmouth; was founded by the Trefusis family; and has a post office‡ under Falmouth. ...


Iron-founding, ship-building, and oyster-fishing are carried on. The chapelry includes the village, and was constituted in 1844. Pop., 1, 006. Houses, 224. The living is a vicarage, annexed in 1868 to the vicarage of Mylor, in the diocese of Exeter. There are three dissenting chapels, and a national school.

Flushing through time

Flushing is now part of Carrick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carrick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Flushing itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Flushing, in Carrick and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21417

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Flushing ".